Tips to improve the marriage
Marriage Therapist; Do you feel like you and your significant other are bickering all the time? Do you think your marriage might be failing? Then you should stop thinking at such a rate, take a deep breath and understand that marriage is a very strong bond. There will be good days, and there will be hard days. But it is a promise till death.
The first initial years are the most beautiful ones, hence called the honeymoon period. But both of the partners grow, have work lives, become parents, have more responsibilities. That does not mean your marriage is failing; it means it’s time to put in a little extra effort.
Are you stuck in a rut?
When you are stuck at a point in life, the rut is over a situation or an event that you can’t look past. Similar to that, marriage has its rut. When stuck in a rut, you will always keep arguing over almost identical situations; there won’t be sexual satisfaction, poor or little communication, and overall dissatisfaction from the relationship.
Key to a healthy and successful marriage
There are three keys to a happy and successful marriage. And that is energy, money, and time. And you need to invest all of it for the essentials of leading a successful marriage.
Love and commitment
Love is not just saying I Love you or romantic dates, movie nights, and dinners. Love is a commitment you make to your partner that I will be there in the hard times as I am here in the good ones; it is a promise to trust, focus and understand your partner above all.
It is not just the act of sex that needs faithfulness, but your eyes, mouth, words, mind, and soul. Your mind should be focused on your partner. When your eyes wander to another or when you share a few intimate comments with another, you are sacrificing your faithfulness.
A marriage is a sanctuary where each partner must have the ability to open up about their flaws and faults and are forgiven for it. And when it comes to the public, it is your job as a partner to shield your partner from criticism and respect them for who they are.
Patience and forgiveness
Patience and followed by forgiveness is a powerful tool for working a marriage. Both partners need to understand that patience is better than a heated argument. And when late you have accepted your fault and apologized, it is only right to be forgiven.
You will never have a good relationship if you do not invest quality time. That means being there and talking about how the day is, making sure both of you are on the same page. Communication is a key to a good marriage. We all know that.
Honesty and trust
Marriage is a bond, and if you based that bond on anything but honesty, it will come down crumbling soon. Your trust and honesty make your bond with your partner strong. It keeps you mentally connected, committed, and patient with each other.
There is no I in marriage; it’s the Us and WE when a partner starts to think selfishly that it is only for themself. The marriage begins to fall apart. Selfishness will always cost you. Work on making a decision that is also for your significant other.
Tips to strengthen your bond
There are still some steps you can take to strengthen your bond with your significant other and improve your marriage.
- Step out of your comfort zone and commit to your marriage in a way that brings a new feeling to it.
- Do not criticize your partner even if you disapprove of what they are doing. You can always humbly disapprove and give a genuine reason. Sarcasm and criticism create gaps.
- Talk to each other; if you are at work, leave a text, and always pick up your spouse’s call. When you come home, talk about your day.
- Share what you have in mind about finances; if you want your spouse to earn more, ask your spouse to help with finances. Be open about it.
- Private space is significant, and two partners need to give each other breathing space.
- Work on each other, change your looks and make more romantic efforts. Change is always good.
- Choose a day from the week and make sure no matter what happens, you take your spouse out on a date every other week on the same day. Call it a date night.
- Never go to bed angry with each other; either work it out or forgive quickly.
- Your spouse has a mind of their own; do not try to control them.
- If your differences are getting worse and more with time, asking for professional help is your best choice.
Marriage can be challenging at times too. But with a professional marriage therapist, you can rekindle the romance you thought was a loss. Edmonton Counseling Services provide marriage counseling to couples who have forgotten how much they love each other. Bharat Sharma won the 2021 ThreeBestRated® Top 3 Marriage Counsellor award in Edmonton, which can help you strengthen your marriage.